Friday, August 8, 2014

SUMMER HAS FINALLY ENDED/BOOK REVIEWS

Dear Brandi,

Today is August eighth, and I now realise the title of this post is a complete lie. There is still a week left of summer.

What I meant was, I have a laptop, and I can now blog. I've missed you guys. I've missed constantly checking the pageviews. And most of all, I've missed writing the Lovely Brandi.

So, let me fill you all in.

I missed the hell out of the blog. I really missed my school issued laptop. I didn't tackle The List like I thought I was going to, but we'll speak of that later. Did a lot of traveling. Lucky me, I get to go on vacation this Sunday!


Story time!
Many many moons ago, my youngest (at the time) sister, Kaylee, had cancer. Twice. Both extraordinarily rare to be seen in children. Both times required vigorous weeks of chemotherapy, needles and pinpricks, tests, the whole nine yards. Flash forward. One day, we learn a tiny little organization that at the time went by the name The Heart Connection discovered us. Long story short, the organization changed it's name to the Children's Cancer Connection ((Or CCC)).

Each summer, the CCC will rent out the YMCA Camp for two weeks during the summer, one for the children who had cancer, and another for the siblings of the children who had cancer. I'm trying to make a long story short. As you can see, I'm horrid at that. So I get to go to summer camp this week.

Oh, and it's in a freaking valley. Which means no internet. Which makes me feel like this. All. Week.


Now. Back to business.

I read some books guys!! I haven't exactly been following The List in order, but by what I have on my shelf.

About a week ago, I read Cassandra Clare's City of Bones.

Yes. Finally. I broke open the box set. I did it. 

I can confidently say that this is one of my favorite books. Cassandra wrote this phenomenally, the idea itself is brilliant. Shadowhunters, Idris, the constant not knowing. It's lovely. 9 out of 10 would recommend. The tenth, well, let's say he got into a little accident. *snickers*


This week, I also finished the second book in the series, City of Ashes.


Okay. I don't know why the text suddenly decided to go next to the image. Whatever. Just roll with it.

I thought this book was a rough follow-up to City of Bones. Nonetheless, this is still a fantastic book, but it had a great shadow to live up to. ((If I don't even get the slightest chuckle out of one of you for making a shadow pun while we're talking about books in which the characters are Shadowhunters, I will find each and every one of you, and I will shake your hand, for the last time I thought I was funny, the end was near. "Orange you glad I didn't say shut the fuck up?" "Hi hungry, I'm that guy who doesn't give a shit." 

Those were dark days.))

A lot of this book was dialogue. I enjoyed it, but I've heard a lot of people have given it up for that reason. 8 of 10 would recommend.



And finally, I started Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game.

Okay, this one is doing the thing too. It works. 

I'm a little more than half way finished with this book. And all I have to say, is this. If you have not read this, drop everything you're doing and read it. Not the movie before the book, oh no, that's cheating!

From what I've read, this book is just amazing. Definitely number one on my favorites list. I can't wait to finish this book. I'm assuming a very emotional feelsy feels feeling book review will be coming your way soon, as I plan to finish this book today, and start Cassandra's City of Glass. If I'm feeling adventurous, I may finish that and begin City of Fallen Angels, then take City of Lost Souls to CCC. I'll update you guys next time around the 18th, this post was meant to be posted last night, but I managed to pull an all nighter procrastinating it and am just now publishing. So. Yeah. 


So, as a summary....


A) I miss you guys and promise to get back into blogging when school starts ((the 18th))
B) I'm asking you guys for any book recommendations, if you have any you enjoyed, or that you think the Lovely Brandi or I would enjoy, or just a generally good book, drop it in the comments below :)
C) I won't be blogging at all for the next week or so, I may update again today, just for the hell of it, because I feel terrifically horrible for abandoning you all summer
D) I apologise for the ridiculously long post. It's cause I missed you!!!!
E) There is no E section of the list, I just like lists.

See you all the 18th!!


Remember, play nice, share your toys, buckle your seat belts, don't drink and drive, don't drive with anyone who has been drinking, and don't do anything too illegal.


With love,

~ Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment